When the durability and reliability of a leading fast food restaurant chain’s POS system became a concern, they looked to ATEN for a solution. The main challenge the restaurant chain faced was a distance constraint, which meant limited location options for their devices. Heat exposure from surrounding industrial equipment was also an issue, potentially reducing the lifespan of their POS system and affecting their day-to-day operations.
ATEN Solution Benefits
ATEN assisted the restaurant chain with the deployment of 4-Port Cat 5e/6 USB 2.0 Extenders in all of their locations, allowing them to increase their connectivity distance from 15 ft up to 330 ft by using Cat 5e/6 technology. The increase in distance enabled the restaurant chain to relocate their POS systems to the back of the store or in a separate room to help prevent exposure to the heat. This significantly improved the communication between the equipment at the front of the restaurant and their POS systems at the back of the restaurant.
With the 4-Port Cat 5e/6 USB 2.0 Extender integrated successfully into each restaurant location, the fast food chain was able to extend the life of some of their equipment, eliminating replacement costs of the failed equipment and reducing the overall cost of their solution.
- The devices that are connected to the various POS systems are now in an environment that will not cause them to fail, increasing the solution’s overall reliability while eliminating unnecessary equipment replacement.
- Moving the devices to a centralized location away from the high-heat industrial equipment provided a better environment to access and maintain the connected POS systems.
- Additional devices and technology can be easily incorporated because the 4-Port Cat 5e/6 USB 2.0 Extender can handle up to 4 USB enabled devices located at the front counter and can have a cable run up to 330 ft.
- The product was able to leverage the restaurant’s existing Cat 5e/6 connectivity infrastructure, allowing for quick and easy deployment without the need to hire contract installers to run new cables for the solution.
- Long reach USB 2.0 powered by ExtremeUSB® technology
- Extends USB 2.0 high-speed and USB 1.1 (low-speed, full speed) devices up to 330 ft. over Cat 5e/6 cable
- Operates with USB 2.0 high-speed host controllers and USB 1.1 classic hosts
- Supports all USB device types: Control, Interrupt, Bulk and Isochronous at up to 480Mbps
- True plug and play, ready to operate right out of the box; No new driver installation required
- Integrated hub provides four remote USB 2.0 ports. Number of devices can be increased using additional USB hubs