The National Restaurant Association set out to explore the landscape of current technology adoption in restaurants, plans for future adoption, and restaurant operators’ thoughts and opinions on this fast-moving trend. Among the findings of its new report Mapping the Restaurant Technology Landscape:
- 81 percent of restaurants use a POS or electronic register system.
- 68 percent of restaurants offer Wi-Fi for guests.
- 37 percent of restaurants offer online ordering.
- 32 percent of restaurants accept mobile payment.
- 53 percent of restaurant operators say they would implement predictive ordering technology if it were available to them today.
- 37 percent of restaurant operators believe the most important area of technology development in the next five years is customer ordering.
- 32 percent restaurant operators consider their operations to be lagging when it comes to technology use.
- 12 percent consider their operations to be leading-edge.